Watch Password Reset and Recovery video overviewVirto SharePoint Password Reset and Recovery Web Part allows to any user logged into the SharePoint 2016, 2013, 2010, or 2007 portal to reset his password, without contacting an administrator. A new temporary password will be shown online or sent to an email box according to the web part configuration. This add-in is a part of Virto SharePoint Password Management tools that include also SharePoint Password Expiration and Change SharePoint Password web parts.
Online and E-mail Password Delivery with SharePoint Password Reset web part
User can see the new password on the site page immediately after reset or can receive it on e-mail (without viewing on page). There are easy and secure ways of working with users’ passwords!
Two convenient ways of working with Sharepoint Password Reset
You can either request a new password on the site online or receive it in email. In the first case, the user will answer some secret questions set by the system administrator and the values are taken from fields of AD profile (date of birth, mobile phone, etc.). If the password is sent by email, the user must enter his login and email address to receive the new password.
SharePoint Password Reset with convenient self-service
Virto SharePoint Password Reset Web Part enables Active Directory users and users with general accounts (Form Based Authentication) to reset their passwords fast and easy without disturbing the site administrator!
Why you may need Virto Active Directory SharePoint Password Reset Web Part
SharePoint Password Reset web part is used for a quick and simple resolving of situations when a user forgets his password or his password is expired, according to password security policy. If there is no such a tool, a user must contact his administrator every time he needs to reset his password.
How the AD Password Reset works
SharePoint site uses Windows Authentication, and users’ profiles are stored in Active Directory. A user tries to logon to a SharePoint site of his company, but he has forgotten the password. He needs to reset his password and enter the site.
This user cannot logon to the SharePoint site. But he can navigate to the SharePoint WSS site with anonymous access (created by SharePoint administrator before) and use SharePoint Password Reset Web Part installed on it. As a result, the user receives his password for access to a SharePoint site.
How to implement
To implement the solution and make it possible for SharePoint users to reset their password when they cannot logon to a SharePoint site, these actions must be done:
- SharePoint WSS site with anonymous access should be created.
- Virto SharePoint Password Reset Web Part should be installed on WSS site.
- SharePoint users must be informed about this site, or automatic redirect for wrong password cases can be adjusted.
- SharePoint Password Reset Web Part must be adjusted (security question or email option, see Virto Password Reset Administration section)
Online Password Recovering
There are two ways to manage forgotten SharePoint user passwords – request a new password on the site online or by email. According to security policy, in the first case before the password change, the user will answer some secret questions (from one to three). Secret questions are set by the system administrator and the values are taken from corresponding fields of AD profile (for instance, date of birth, mobile phone etc.). In case of successful verifying, the option of password reset will be available for this user. As soon as he activates it online, he will see his new temporary password. Password security policy defined in AD is applied for generating the password.
E-mail Password Recovery
If the password is sent by email, the user must enter his login and email address to receive the new password. Then the message about user's password request and suggestion to confirm or decline the reset will be sent to this email address. If the password reset is confirmed, another email message with a new password will be sent.
Pay attention to the fact that the new password is temporary and it is required to change it to a constant one. This can be done with the help of the system administrator or SharePoint Password Change Web Part. In case of both web part installation, you will have the complex solution for SharePoint password management.
|Security questions||Ability to use up to 3 security questions for Active Directory Password Reset.|
|E-mail reset mode||E-mail for password reset is sent to a user to request confirmation.|
|Enforce user to change temporary password upon next login||You need not reset the password immediately, but the administrator sends a URL to a user and when he clicks on it, he resets a password.|
|Ability to set password complexity||SharePoint Password Reset Web Part allows to administrator set minimum/maximum number of digits (password policy).|
|Reset password for groups||Reset passwords for the group of users from the organizational units.|
|Supported SharePoint versions||2007, 2010, 2013, 2016|
09-23-2015That's really what I wanted to find. I needed to reset user password in SharePoint 2013, this web part was very useful.
03-11-2015Very useful product for me both as Password Change Web Part. Great tool! Great support! Thank you Virto!)
05-29-2015Easy way to manage SharePoint password without contacting administrator. Great product, we just did a company wide installation.
- Sharepoint 2016 - 3.2.1
- Sharepoint 2013 - 3.2.1
- Sharepoint 2010 - 3.1.1
- Sharepoint 2007 - 2.2.0
- Operation system64-bit edition of Windows Server 2012 R2 Service Pack 1 AND 64-bit edition of Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- ServerSharePoint Server 2016, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2
- BrowserMicrosoft Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Google Chrome, Firefox, Mozilla
- Operation systemWindows Server 2012 Standard or Datacenter X64 / 2008 R2 SP1
- ServerSharePoint Release: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2013 or Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013; Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5
- BrowserInternet Explorer 8 or greater is recommended for Advanced Administration features, Mozilla, Firefox, Google Chrome supported
- Operation systemWindows Server 2008 x64 / 2008 R2
- ServerSharePoint Release: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 or Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010. Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
- BrowserInternet Explorer 7 or greater is recommended for Advanced Administration features, Mozilla Firefox supported
- Operation systemWindows Server 2003 x86/x64 // 2008 x86/x64 // 2008 R2
- ServerSharePoint Release: Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services v3 (WSS3.0) SP2 or Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 SP2. Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 or greater (Note: This product is not compatible with SPS 2003 and WSS v2)
- BrowserInternet Explorer 6 or above is recommended for advanced administration features
- Serial number for product activation
- Unlimited 1 year support via email
- All major and minor upgrades during 1 year
License notes and renewal
Upon purchase, your license comes with a free 1-year update period. Once this initial period expires, an extension for a further year needs to be purchased to maintain access to the latest product updates.
Educational and non-profit discounts
We are glad to offer a set of special discounts for schools, colleges, universities, hospitals and charity organizations. Please contact our sales department for more information.